Add Echo360 as an external LTI tool in D2L
Following the instructions below will add Echo360 as an external LTI tool in D2L at the organizational or institutional level. This makes the tool available for any courses configured for the institution.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS administrator.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the LMS fields in Echo360 can be difficult, and can be prone to not selecting the full value. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.
To configure Echo360 as an External Learning Tool in D2L
- Log into D2L as an administrator.
- Navigate to Admin Tools > External Learning Tools.
- In the Learning Tools screen, click the Manage Tool Providers tab.
- Click New Tool Provider.
- In the New Tool Provider form, complete the following fields:
- For Launch Point, copy the Host URL field value from the Desire2Learn LMS configuration in Echo360.
- For Secret, copy the Shared Secret field value from the LMS configuration in Echo360
- Enable the checkbox for Use custom tool consumer information instead of default, to enable the Key field.
- For Key, copy the Consumer Key field value from the LMS configuration in Echo360.
- For Name, enter a name for the tool the clearly identifies this as the Echo360 platform.
- For Description, enter a description to identify this tool as the Echo360 platform.
- For the URL field copy and paste the Host URL from the D2L LTI Profile in Echo360
- Enable the Visibility checkbox.
- Click Save.
- Once you return to the Tool Providers list, click the Manage Tool Links tab.
- Find the link for the tool you just created, and click on it.
- In the Edit Link form, provide a Title and a Description. The URL field should already contain the URL you entered in the tool configuration above.
- If necessary, enable the Allow users to view this link checkbox.
- Ensure the Key/Secret section of the form has the following configured:
- Enable the Sign messages with key/secret checkbox.
- Select the Tool Consumer key/secret radio button.
This grays out the key and secret fields, populating them with the values entered in the tool configuration above.
- At the bottom section of the form, under Security Settings, be sure that the following checkboxes are checked (others can be checked if needed):
- Send context information to tool provider
- Send User ID to tool provider
- Send Username to tool provider
- Send User email to tool provider
- Send user role to tool provider
- Be sure the Org Units that should be able to select this tool for their courses are listed.
Add or delete Org Units as necessary from this list.
- When finished, click Save.