Configuring Capture Devices
The workflow for getting devices ready to capture follows:
- Configure room/device settings (for SCHD,
PRO, and POD devices).
- Download the configuration file to a thumb
- Install the SCHD,
Capture software in the room where the classes and captures will
- Note the MAC address of the capture appliance,
or the PC where Classroom Capture is installed.
- Apply the downloaded device configuration
file to the SCHD, PRO, or POD device as appropriate.
- In Echo360, assign
the device to the room where it is installed.
- Log on and monitor the device to be sure
the proper input feeds are working properly.
Setting up SCHD, PRO, and POD devices
Configuring SCHD, PRO, and POD appliances involves placing
the device into the classroom and making the proper video, audio, network,
and other connections. Then you must load the Active Learning Echo360
device configuration file (that you download using the procedure below)
to the device. This allows Echo360 to recognize and initialize the
device for use.
TIP: If multiple
capture appliances (of the same type) use the same device configurations
(audio, video, display, login, etc.), you can use the instructions below
to configure and download the device.xml
file once and use it for all devices that share that configuration.
To set up a capture appliance
- Insert a USB thumb drive into the computer
you are using; this will be where you save the device configuration
NOTE: We recommend
you use an Echo USB thumb drive, if one came packaged with the appliance.
Otherwise be sure you are using a FAT formatted thumb drive.
- Log into Echo360 as an administrator.
- Select the Settings
icon in upper-right of the screen (it looks like a gear).
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
- From the left panel, select Device
- From the banner across the top, select the
type of appliance you are configuring (SCHD, PRO or POD).
- Configure or make changes to the recording
device inputs and other settings. See SCHD
Input and Device Settings or Echo360
PRO Capture and Device Settings or Echo360
POD Device and Capture Settings as appropriate for details.
These can be changed
later for individual devices, using the Configure option on the
ROOMS page tile for a device.
- Click SAVE.
- Click Common
Settings from the top of the page, to configure the device
logins, outbound proxy, or other settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Common Settings
page and click SAVE.
- Click DOWNLOAD.
- Save or move the downloaded device.xml
file to the ROOT location on the thumb drive (NOT in a sub-folder).
DO NOT change
the name of the file.
- Go to the capture appliance. If necessary,
turn it on and make sure it has fully initialized (wait about five
- Insert the thumb drive containing the device.xml file into the USB port
of the appliance. Allow the device to upload and process the
configuration file before removing the thumb drive.
Note the MAC address of the SCHD Device appliance; you will need this
to add the device to a room.
- Repeat the last two steps for each device
that will be using the downloaded configuration settings.
Once the appliance uploads and processes the file, the
following things happen:
- The appliance establishes communications with
Echo360. Once that process is complete, the device can be assigned
to a room.
- The appliance writes a status file back
to the thumb drive containing useful information about the
device (such as IP address), which can be used for troubleshooting
Setting up Classroom Capture devices
- From the classroom PC where you will be installing
Classroom Capture, navigate to and log into Echo360 (as an administrator).
- Click the Settings
icon in the upper-right of the page (it looks like a gear).
- Select Downloads
from the list.
- Select the Windows
Download link for Classroom Capture.
- Launch the downloaded executable and proceed
through the installation wizard.
Note the MAC address of the computer on which you are installing Classroom
Capture; you will need this to add the device to a room. A window
appears at the end of installation showing the MAC address of the
Once installation completes, the Classroom Capture installation
establishes communications with the Echo360 instance from which the installation
executable was downloaded. This allows the installation to be assigned
to a room as a capture device.