In any given term there may be multiple offerings of the
same course, which are represented as sections. Sections then have captures
of the classes scheduled and those scheduled capture occurrences are the
classes students attend.
For example, the English Department offers the Composition
1 course, ENG-COMP1, for which there are three different scheduled offerings
defined as Sections ENG-COMP101, ENG-COMP102, and ENG-COMP103.
For some institutions, a course and a section are considered
the same thing. Or for many courses, there may be only one section. In
these cases, there will still be both a course and a section, but you
would configure only one section per course.
There are two methods for creating sections in Echo360:
- Bulk Import
- The course CSV import allows you to create courses and sections
at the same time, as well as allowing you to create sections for existing
courses. See Creating
Courses/Sections via CSV Import for more information and instructions.
- Add sections individually through the interface. These steps appear
Each course can have a maximum of 250 sections.
To add sections through the interface
- Select COURSES
from the main navigation bar.
The course catalog appears.
- Create a new section in one of the following
- At the top of the screen, click New
- Find the appropriate course in the list
(search, filter, or scroll through), then click the New
section icon (plus sign) located to the right
of the course name.
- In the Create a new section page that appears,
select a Course from
the drop-down list.
If you clicked the plus sign for a course, this is pre-populated with
- Choose a Term
during which this section will be scheduled.
- To clearly identify the section, enter a
section code. The section
code must be unique to the course/term combination.
- From the list, select an instructor.
NOTE that the first instructor you assign to the section will automatically
be made the Primary Instructor for the section.
- To add another section to this course, click
ADD SECTION and complete
the section code and instructor fields.
- If you need to remove a section from those
listed for the course, click the X
button next to the section you want to delete.
- Click SAVE.